Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Pipe Band Community

This weekend, the Chattanooga pipe band will be having a clinic with one of the finest pipers and drummers in the North America. This will be wonderful opportunity to continue to develop the band and capitalize on last years big win at Stone Mountain. Winning once is great, but to repeat that same feat the fallowing year is something else. I hope that we get a lot accomplished this weekend.
One of the best aspects about the bagpipes is that there is always a great community awaiting you where ever you go. Many of the pest people I have meet in my life are friends that I met in different pipe bands. Over the years, I have moved around a bit and have had the opportunity to play in 4 different pipe bands. Each one is unique. From age to skill level, moving to a new city and meeting the pipe band is always exciting, never knowing what you will find and how you will fit into the band. After moving to Chattanooga, I was delighted to find that the local band is full of talent and genuine people.
Now that I am working at McCallie to set up a pipe band at that school, I look forward to planting the seed that could develop into a great program. The development of a band full of competitive musicians is my priority. I hope that this band will develop into a program that wins competitions and has the opportunity to travel far and wide for competition and performance opportunities.
For those of you looking to learn the bagpipes, take a look at the pipe band in town and visit a practice. It is a great chance to get a sense of what the band environment can offer you and how inviting the bagpipe community can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment