Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Learning the Pipes


I found myself thinking about the process of learning the pipes today and wanted to share my insight. Compared to other instruments, the bagpipes are very simple. There is only nine notes, no sharps or flats and no cords. While there is not as much to master as one would with a classical instrument, developing the muscle memory takes time and focused effort. One approach that I have had success with has to do with getting off the scale as quickly as possible. Rather than going up and down the scale all the time, it is important to jump around from note to note. This will insure that when these note transfers start to show up on music, your fingers have already played them and the learning process will not be stifled with learning something new.
The main focus needs to be on taking the thought process out and have your playing become more of an automatic response. When I am playing a tune, I don’t think about the notes that must be played, rather I hear the way the tune would be played perfectly in my head and allow my fingers to follow what I hear. Don’t get frustrated at the beginning. To develop your skills with the pipes, it will take a lot of repetition at the start that some might feel is boring, but it is essential in building a strong foundation that will carry your talents for the rest of your life.
Another important aspect is that you don’t rush things and skip ahead. The music memory that is developed in the early stages is a sort of hard wiring and can have a negative effect on your development if it is not perfect. Never play at a tempo that is too fast for you to play perfect. If things start to fall apart as you speed up, pull it back a bit and focus on perfection. Remember that you do not have to be seated at a table blowing into the instrument to be practicing. While you are watching television, have your chanter in your hand and keep your fingers moving. Even something as simple as placing your fingers on a table or your leg and moving your fingers will help to develop dexterity and muscle memory. I was on the pipes playing the senior class to graduation just 8 months after I started the instrument and I feel that has a lot to do with the fact that the chanter was in my hand all the time and I worked hard in that first year to pour a strong foundation.
If you have ever had an interest in learning the pipes, please contact me and I would be delighted to assist you in finding a competent teacher, or I can start working with you if you are in Chattanooga, Tennessee or on Skype. I have found that video conferencing is a great way to get started with the instrument and have had great success with it. Stay positive, and work at it every day. The pipes will add so much to your life as it has to mine. From the thrill of sharing the instrument with others in the community that will be in place to support you to the pipe bands all around the world, you are sure to have a unique and full filling experience with this powerful instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment